I had to go back to the hospital to have my orthopedist check my wrist a week after my operation. It was a long drive, and I couldn’t expect my daughter to continue taking time off work, especially since a hospital visit was unpredictable.  A friend, who had errands to do in the Torrance area, agreed to take me.

For the next few weeks, I would get quite used to the procedures and the waiting room’s hard chairs in the Orthopedics area. It was literally every man/woman for himself. After checking in, as best I could considering the cast on my arm and leg, I hobbled to the most ideal available chair that would allow me to stretch out my unbendable leg. I was grateful I have a cheerful, patient nature and enjoy talking to people.

Typical hospital waiting room--Orthopedics was larger!

It’s no wonder hospitals provide so much drama for TV shows. From the workers, technicians, doctors and nurses to the wide variety of patients, it’s a kaleidoscope of characters. During one visit, I happily met up with the former hospital roommate who’d had the same wrist operation. I’ll always remember the large fellow (about the size of Hoss from the old “Bonanza” TV show) who’d worn his most comfortable pants—bright yellow patterned pajama bottoms. He told me all about motorcycles and was never at a loss for words, despite his wife or girlfriend sitting right beside him.

My orthopedist, Dr. Lin, and his colleague, both attractive and friendly, checked my wrist. The same suave cast tech removed the splint and put a shorter cast on my wrist, which left my fingers free and only came halfway up my arm, which enabled me to get back to the computer and an easy editing job. He put some padding under the leg cast, which helped in front, but not on the heel.

I was told I’d have this shorter arm cast for two weeks and then I’d have to come back to have the pin taken out. When they took off the splint, my hand looked wizened and yellow, which reminded me of the King Tut exhibit and Egyptian mummies! The pin stuck out of my wrist beneath my thumb. With its yellow tab, it reminded me of something used to sew up a turkey! This impression was reinforced by the 2 inch-long scar from my palm up the arm, where they’d made the incision. The stitches were removed, which wasn’t totally pleasant, but the doctor was so handsome and pleasant, who cared?

Sometimes I felt like a Mummy!

Tired of being mostly house bound, over the next weeks I managed to go out to lunch with my daughter and various friends. I would use my crutch as a leg rest, or if it was a big enough booth, I could extend the casted leg to the other side of the booth. Despite the leg cast being difficult to lug around, I could tag along to the car wash and the grocery store.  I was exhausted by the end of the day but pleased that I’d gotten out.   I was getting tired from boredom as well as lugging my casts around. It was especially frustrating looking over my balcony into the pool area. It was summer and the turquoise water beckoned the swimmer I have always been.



One Comment

  1. Reznor1990 says:

    Thanks for your own effort on this website. My aunt takes interest in making time for research and it is simple to grasp why. I know all of the lively ways you create practical information through the website and in addition welcome responses from visitors on the issue. Take pleasure in the remaining portion of the new year. You are performing a remarkable job.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Rss Feed Tweeter button Facebook button Technorati button Reddit button Myspace button Linkedin button Webonews button Delicious button Digg button Flickr button Stumbleupon button Newsvine button Youtube button