As a reader, I am always curious about what happened then, etc. I am sharing below a few of the experiences that happened in the next 30+ years.

By Easter 1964, the new Brigadier General Victor Hobson and his family had moved to Ft. Dix, New Jersey, and settled into their spacious new quarters, an over 100 year-old, 3-story white wood frame house, in a fairly private area of the fort. Before the Civil War and perhaps during it, a hidden closet on the second floor had been used to help slaves escape from the South during the time of the so-called Underground Railroad. Outside was a multi-car garage, a huge yard and a pond with a rowboat. The kitchen was huge, which made it easy to entertain, a requirement for Army officers of higher ranks.

I came to visit during Easter vacation and had my own room on the top floor. In the summer after my college graduation from the College of William and Mary, I came back to enjoy several weeks with the family before I flew to Germany to be with my mother and stepfather, sister and brother. I was planning on working in Europe.

Susanna, Marlena and me at the Jersey Shore

Susanna, Marlena and me at the Jersey Shore

One of the funny highlights of the summer at Ft. Dix was the destruction of one wall of the garage. I had my driver’s license but was a newbie. One afternoon, I volunteered to take Marlena and Susanna to the Ft. Dix swimming pool. I wasn’t an expert at backing out of a garage, and as I reversed the car, I took out part of the wooden sidewall. I was embarrassed, and the girls were worried about what their father would say. Fortunately, he saw the humor in it and I relaxed. After all, he was the deputy commander. When the military construction crew came out to repair it the next day, there was great hilarity at the fairly extensive damage done by me, the General’s 21-year-old daughter, with a fairly compact car.

Marlena & Susanna by the infamous car and garage

Marlena & Susanna by the infamous car and garage before the accident.

Over the next thirty-six years I would visit with the Hobsons several times, both in Virginia and California. In May 1974, there was a tragic coincidence. Migia Hobson, my father’s wife, died of a stroke and 11 days later my mother, Garnette Williams, died of kidney disease. They were both barely in their fifties. Susanna, the oldest stepsister who was married and had a young son, died in 1990 of multiple sclerosis.

Victor Hobson suffered from diabetes in his late 40s and a couple of years before he died, he lost most of his left leg to the disease. I was visiting Virginia shortly after his operation, and got to see him one last time in 1997. My father, Victor, died on December 31, 2000, at 2:30 p.m. My birthday is on New Year’s Day at 2:30 a.m. I don’t believe the timing was an accident.

As I’ve said before, the coincidences and connections of life will always amaze me.

My Ebook on Amazon

My Ebook on Amazon

One Comment

  1. Enjoyed immensely, but so saddened that you lost so many dear ones so young in their lives, and in yours.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Rss Feed Tweeter button Facebook button Technorati button Reddit button Myspace button Linkedin button Webonews button Delicious button Digg button Flickr button Stumbleupon button Newsvine button Youtube button